January 13, 2012

Isaac's quilt

I am working on getting Christmas presents done...probably a good thing since December has already come and gone! (oops) Anyway...up this week is a quilt for my youngest brother, Isaac. I wrapped up the finished top for him to open in December, but I would love to have the quilt finished by next Wednesday so that I can take it with me back to Ohio. 

For Isaac's quilt I decided to use Angela's pattern for the Moda Bake Shop, Apple Crate. I love this pattern! It is a large quilt, full of color, and easy to put together. Thanks Angela!! If you haven't checked out Moda Bake Shop, you really should. There are so many wonderful FREE patterns available. An added bonus is that many of these patterns use precuts which definitely can make for quick projects. :) I have a list of bake shop patterns that I am itching to try!



Instead of using precuts for Isaac's quilt, I decided to cut my own fabric from fat quarters and yardage. I chose fabrics in grey, blue, red, and green. A good chunk of the fabrics are from Denyse Schmidt's fabric line at Joann. I may not have done the best job at selecting colors, but I am happy with the fabrics together and they really do make a good quilt for a college guy. 


I love this photo of my fabric cut and ready to go. I chose to use Kona White for the negative space. I was thinking about using a light grey, but decided to use this since I already owned it. I actually like the way it looks with the patterned fabrics. I am excited to start basting and quilting this one over the weekend!!


Above is a photo of the blocks laid out on the ground. They did not necessarily end up in this exact order, but I got close. Just another benefit of living in a fraternity house - I have a large basement with open floor space for laying out quilts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment