September 17, 2013

Handi Quilter - Day 1



Yesterday was my first day of training at Handi Quilter! Handi Quilter is a Utah-based company that makes longarm quilting machines. For those that aren't familiar with these machines, they have at least a 16" harp space between the needle and the section of the machine that houses the mechanics. The orientation of a quilting machine is different than that of a standard sewing machine. The Handi Quilters come in either a sit down model or a stand up model that is mounted on a large frame that hold the fabric layers tight and makes basting unnecessary. The first quilt I ever quilted was done on a Handi Quilter and I have loved these machines ever since! I do not have the space in my current apartment to hold such a machine, but I know that someday I will have one of my very own. ;)

I came to this training as a staff member at Capital Quilts. At the shop we sell Handi Quilter machines and will be starting a rental program so that customers can rent time in the shop to work on their own projects. I am very excited because I will be teaching the introductory certification course for this program! During this three day training I am learning about the machines, how they work, and how to service and maintain the machines. 

Onto the photos of the day!...

This is the sign that greets all those who enter the Handi Quilter headquarters. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement :)

















We were given a tour of the facility. This is where machine parts are made and assembled.



This is the area where they test each machine for 30-40 minutes. There are certain designs that are sewn on fabric to make sure the machines are of top quality before they are shipped out to customers.
This was my favorite room in the building - the classroom!! There are many machines set up in this room so that all classes are hands on and the students are able to practice the stitches and techniques that are being taught in the front of the room. I got to spend the morning here learning about thread, needles, and tension. 
My afternoon was spent in technician training. Talk about a lot of information!!


This is my machine after I took it apart. There are fewer parts than I was originally expecting to see! Also, check out all of my tools :)
No quilting based business would be complete without QUILTS!! There are quilts hanging on just about every wall in the building (except the factory section). All quilting styles are represented. Here are some of the quilts I found inspiring. Don't worry, I will share even more tomorrow!







5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a day! It's fascinating to see all this. I'm so excited for you. How great to have that hands on experience with the machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so cool. Were you the only one from the store that went? I am so excited to get to rent one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just so cool. Were you the only one from the store that went? I am so excited to get to rent one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just so cool. Were you the only one from the store that went? I am so excited to get to rent one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hardcore, anna!!! I'm impressed. And excited.

    ReplyDelete