August 22, 2013

Dear Stella Quilt -- Tutorial

My quilt guild is working on charity quilts at our September meeting. The past president, Katie of Swim, Bike, Quilt organized the charity projects as a part of her annual event 100 Quilts for Kids. Katie was able to receive a few fat quarter bundles from Dear Stella Fabrics for us to work on these projects. Thanks Katie and Dear Stella!! I volunteered to be one of the quilt leads for the event and I have created this tutorial for guild members who will be helping with the quilt I am heading up. However, I hope that you will find the tutorial useful as well and give it a try!!

I received a fat quarter bundle of the All Hands on Deck fabric. I really love the nautical designs and the colors are perfect for a young boy.


















The quilt we will be making was inspired by this block I found in the book 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks. I really like the use of two classic blocks together.


The quilt we will make is made up of two distinct blocks: hourglass and square-in-a-square. Here is a mock-up of how I envision the finished quilt to look.




















I made up kits before our last guild meeting so that members could work on their blocks at home and we could assemble the quilt top at the next meeting. Each kit contains 2 fat quarters from Dear Stella and 1/4 yard of white fabric. Those members that received a kit for Block A will make the hourglass blocks, while those with Block B will make square-in-a-square. Both of these blocks are very simple to construct. The following directions are for one fat quarter, since I gave each participant two fat quarters you will follow these steps twice. 

In order to cur down on the amount of content in this post I have created a project sheet for each of the different block styles. For directions on making the hourglass block, please click here. For details on making the square-in-a-square block, please click here

2 comments:

  1. Do you want us to square up these blocks to a certain size? They seem to finish at a tiny bit over 8" square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeps! The square-in-a-square link isn't working!
    Also - don't know if it's mentioned in the link or if I missed it, but do you want the patterns to be cut so they aren't on a slant?

    ReplyDelete