March 1, 2012

Pillows, pillows, pillows!!


I am finally going to tell you about how I made all those new pillows for my couch!! First, I used Angela's amazing tutorial to make all of the pillows with an envelope back. Her tutorial for a basic pillow is great and easy to follow. I also used her idea of making a pillow out of patchwork squares for one of my original pillows. I used charm squares (5") for this pillow.


Next up is the chevron pillow. I used the concept of value to make this pattern. I first started thinking about value when I began reading Katie's blog at Sew Katie Did. Check out this link for a great lesson on seeing value. 


The pattern for this next quilt is from Fresh Lemon's Solstice Star Series. This particular block is called the Ribbon Star. I really like the way I quilted this one!


This next pillow is made using the pattern for the Oh Fransson! Sparkle Punch Quilt Along. I have most of my squares cut to make a large quilt in this patter, but making a pillow took so much less time! 


I really can't remember where I got the inspiration for this last pillow. This is a classic block that I have seen in multiple places since I first started following quilt blogs and checking out quilts on Pinterest. I really like the way I quilted this with straight lines. 


Fabric for all of these pillows comes from Ruby by Bonnie and Camille. I am absolutely obsessed with this fabric line and can't wait to finish the two quilts I have started in this fabric. :) The negative space on all five pillows is, my favorite, Kona White. All five pillows have an envelope back and I used fabrics I had purchased in the clearance section of Fabric Shack to make the backs. I purchased all pillow forms on sale at Joann. for the first two I purchased the high end products, but I do not like the feel of those as much as I do the middle-of-the-road pillow forms I purchased the second time around. 

Happy quilting!

3 comments:

  1. When you quilted these, did you put just another piece of fabric on the back? Or did you just sew the front? I always wonder about that with pillows. It seems like you would need another piece of fabric so there is more to it, but then that could add bulk, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a piece of batting behind the top and quilted that way. Then I added an extra piece of fabric to help the pillow slide in easily. This is what Angel suggested in this tutorial http://fussycut.blogspot.com/2011/04/tutorial-basic-pillow.html and I think it worked really well.

      Delete
  2. That's a mess of good pillows! I love them all.

    ReplyDelete